Bethany is an inclusive faith community. All are welcome here. For more than 110 years we have been a congregation that seeks to share God’s love, listen to the Spirit’s call, and follow Christ’s example of loving our neighbors. That spirit is alive and well at Bethany today, leading us in new directions.
Over the last two years we’ve been in a time of congregational discernment. We gathered in 2013 in cottage meetings and as a congregation for a strategic assessment. In 2014, session distilled the feedback we’d gathered and identified four areas of emphasis for our life together in the coming years:
- Be purposefully welcoming: We have good news to share and we’re not content to be a closed community. We’re called to reach out to our neighborhood and city, invite new people, and grow.
- Center on the vibrancy of God: We want to be a place of rest, refreshment, and growth in a world that is busy, over scheduled and exhausting. We will provide this through excellent worship and opportunities for spiritual education and nourishment for all ages.
- Reach out in mission: We remain committed to local mission, particularly to neighbors who are hungry and impoverished, and we seek to expand into wider domestic and international mission.
- Improve our facility’s accessibility: Our building has significant barriers to accessibility for people who have difficulty navigating stairs. These barriers affect worship, education, and fellowship.
Our Build on Faith – Widen the Welcome campaign has grown out of this discernment. It is an opportunity to invest in our ministry and revitalize our facilities for current and future service by accomplishing the projects below:
- Create greater accessibility by installing an elevator to reach all three levels of our facility, and putting in new automatic doors at the most-used entries to our building.
- Improve the use and serviceability of our third floor by creating a restroom.
- Enhance our worship experience by including speakers in our choir loft and library, improving the lighting in our Sanctuary, and plastering the ceiling in the Sanctuary
- Improve energy efficiency by installing new windows in the upstairs classrooms
- Refresh our facilities to make them more welcoming and functional with new electrical outlets, paint, refurbishment of Forbes Hall and potential kitchen improvements.
- Extend the reach of God’s love through mission and ministry by making tithe gifts from the proceeds of our campaign.
Completing these projects will allow us to continue – and improve – the ways in which we share God’s love at Bethany and in our wider community.